As I've said many times already, my goal for this blog is for you to get to know the children of Potomac Gardens, and by doing so, be able to pray more effectively for them. To this end, here are some more pictures of our (beautiful) kids, hanging out in the Gardens.While you're viewing these, please consider the fact that many different groups have their eye on the Gardens.
As I told you before, it is in the middle of a "hot" area of DC, and the land it occupies could easily be used for high-end condos, apartments, single-family homes, or businesses. I recently was reading on NARPAC (the National Association to Restore Pride in America's Capital) about their vision for this area of SE. Not surprisingly, it included the following statement: "The highest density residential asset is the Potomac Gardens public housing complex, which could clearly be upgraded to a far higher density mixed income neighborhood." (see for yourself at: http://www.narpac.org/METROVIZ.HTM)
As I told you before, it is in the middle of a "hot" area of DC, and the land it occupies could easily be used for high-end condos, apartments, single-family homes, or businesses. I recently was reading on NARPAC (the National Association to Restore Pride in America's Capital) about their vision for this area of SE. Not surprisingly, it included the following statement: "The highest density residential asset is the Potomac Gardens public housing complex, which could clearly be upgraded to a far higher density mixed income neighborhood." (see for yourself at: http://www.narpac.org/METROVIZ.HTM)
While I admit that Potomac Gardens is problematic for the neighborhood and the city at large, I dread the day when the people who call it home are forced to move out and find another place to live. Even if they are given money to do this, it will mean a complete upheaval of their lives
, as their neighbors and neighborhood mean a great deal to them (as they should to all of us).The City of Washington has recognized the need for change in Potomac Gardens, and has, at the same time, understood (or at least claimed to understand) the importance of keeping housing affordable for the present occupants (see their New Communities Innitiative; Potomac Gardens has been identified as a "candidate site": http://dcbiz.dc.gov/dmped/cwp/view,A,1366,Q,598573,dmpedNav,3302633028.asp)
I am, admittedly, ignorant of all that goes into urban renewal and development. All I know is that the people of this housing project are scared - most expect to be forcibly moved within 5 to 10 years. I do not have an answer for how to improve the area without mass-resettlement, but I hope that, once we all realize the value of this community, we can work together with the DC Government to maintain it, while at the same time improving it. (Note: yes, that does appear to be a cigarette in N.'s hand. I'm hoping it's of the candy variety)
No comments:
Post a Comment